[rt-users] Mail Problem

Lorens Kockum rt-id-45 at lists.lorens.org
Tue Jan 30 02:51:53 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 06:37:31PM -0500, George Warnagiris wrote:
> I am now able to create error free requests with the web interface.
> Unfortunately, I am still unable to create a request via email.  Also, queue
> admin email notifications are not sent to me.  Here is part of the Exim
> error logs:
>
> 2001-01-29 18:22:42 14NNdC-000070-00 <= rt at babcockbrown.com U=rt P=local
> S=1133
> 2001-01-29 18:22:42 14NNdC-000070-00 == cheryls at babcockbrown.com R=smarthost
> defer (-1): lookup of host "yes" failed in smarthost router

Wellum, as usual the error message is of great help, especially
since you sent your exim.conf.  It's not an RT problem (any
more), it's an exim config problem. I don't think mail works at
all on your machine, right?

The line

	route_list = "* yes bydns_a"

is a smarthost rule that indicates that all mail not local is to
be sent to the IP address found in the DNS "A" record of a host
named "yes".

I don't suppose that was the intention :-) I suppose that the
Debian setup script question was a little obscure when it asked
for the smarthost to which send the mail, and you thought it was
asking *if* there was a smarthost . . .

The first argument is the pattern for the domains using this
rule. * means "all domains use the following rule".

The second argument is the immediate TCP/SMTP destination
for mail to the domains that match the pattern in the first
argument.

The third argument is the manner in which to interpret the
second argument. Possible arguments are byname (second argument
is a literal IP address without brackets, otherwise, use
gethostbyname to get the IP address), bydns (use DNS MX and
A records), bydns_a (use DNS A records only), and bydns_mx
(use DNS MX records only).  All this is in the excellent Exim
reference manual "Specification of the Exim Mail Transfer
Agent", of course.

Suggest you change the line to fit your needs :-)

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum