[rt-users] Performance problems

Trevor Sky Garside trevor at trevorsky.com
Sat Jul 14 20:26:34 EDT 2001

Well, my take on it is that RT2 is designed to be capable of a heavy load,
and so it makes use of mod_perl, and Mason, which appear to be somewhat of
resource hogs.  I would bet that the problem is exclusively the RAM, because
on my P233/64MB I noticed the hard drive chunking away the whole time it was
processing the request, meaning my poor Red Hat system was killing itself on
the swap partition.  Have a quick check of pricewatch.com and you'll see
that using a bit of RAM is probably the best of any resource to waste -- RAM
is insanely cheap these days.

But this does lead to a good question for the developer:  is there any
(easy) way to knock down the system requirements on this product?  It would
be nice to toss an old system from the closet in as a ticket server, this
way I don't have to piggy-back it onto a machine already tasked with other
functions (which I hate doing because of paranoia about security).

Trevor Sky Garside
<trevor at trevorsky.com>