[rt-users] Using CPAN

Shane Landrum srl at mail.boston.com
Fri Jun 29 09:07:27 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 07:07:28AM -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH (allbery at ece.cmu.edu) wrote:
> On Friday, June 29, 2001 16:09:02 +0800, chris at harvestroad.com wrote:
> +----
> | Is there any way to stop Perl from going out and building the latest
> | version of Perl
> | (I'm guessing 5.6.1) every time I want to install something from CPAN? I
> +--->8
>
> Not that I've found.  The folks who run CPAN have apparently decided that
> it's "good" to force people to upgrade.

No, they didn't. That was a misfeature in earlier releases of CPAN.pm.
If you install the newest version of CPAN.pm by hand, from the tarball
(http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/ANDK/CPAN-1.59_54.tar.gz) you'll probably
have better luck.

There's also a setting in the Config.pm for CPAN.pm that lets you set
"follow dependencies" on or off. If you want to have to install every
module with a separate "install ____" command in the shell, you can
turn "follow dependencies" off. That'll keep the upgrade to 5.6.1 from
happening automatically, but it limits the utility of CPAN.pm somewhat.

srl
--
Shane Landrum  (srl AT boston DOT com)  Software Engineer, boston.com