[rt-users] RE: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket

Ed Vazquez, Jr. evazquez at inflow.com
Thu May 31 19:03:19 EDT 2001

I managed to get it running by compiling from source.

I had to set up the mysql user and group (since by default MySQL will
not run as root), and then give that as an option during compile
(--with-mysqld-user=mysql).  Once I did this, I was able to su up to the
mysql user and start the daemon.

I've come in late on this thread, but ISTR that http://www.mysql.com/
kept a fairly complete set of documentation online, including
step-by-steps to building, installing and first-time running of the
database.

HTH,

- --
Ed Vazquez
Senior Security Engineer
Inflow, Inc. (http://www.inflow.com/home.asp)
303.942.3211

These days, if I owned the M$ division that built Lookout and
SexChange, I'd trade it for a dog, and then I'd shoot the dog.
- --Mike Andrews in the Monastery.