[rt-users] Logging as comment? when Scrip emails are sent.

Paul Gregg lists-mail-isp-rt-users at pgregg.com
Tue Oct 9 11:59:09 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I've just joined this list (but I've looked through the archives)
and didn't find anything on this, so here goes...

I setup RT2.0.7 a couple of days ago and have been testing it and everything
is working the way it should be (using Qmail, etc - see PS at end)...

However:

What I want to achieve, is when a script emails the requestor (or anyone)
I want it to add a message to the ticket saying "Emailed correspondence
to joe at public.com" as a one-liner comment...  (something like those
"jesse - Broken in 2.0.6 added" lines)

How can I go about this?  My 2 days of digging through the source
hasn't yet led me to that eureka point where I understand it all yet ;)

Thanks,

Paul.

PS.  Qmail:

I wasn't too happy with the way that the FAQ suggested it should be setup so
I did my own (other Qmail users might recognise me as the Qmail Single UID
doc author, then again they may not!)

This setup assumes that you want to send a complete domains worth
of email to RT, e.g. your queue addresses are general at rt.domain.com
support at rt.domain.com, etc.

1. Create /var/qmail/users/assign with the contents:
+rtuser:rtuser:707:707:/var/qmail/virtualusers/rtuser:::
.

(the single . on the last line is important)  707:707 are the uid:gid of
your rtuser in /etc/passwd

and tell Qmail to use this for your domain add the line:
rt.domain.com:rtuser

to /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains  (make sure rt.domain.com is in
rcpthosts as well - but make sure is is NOT in locals)

2. Run qmail-newu

3. Create the directory /var/qmail/virtualusers/rtuser:
mkdir -p /var/qmail/virtualusers/rtuser
chown rtuser.rtuser /var/qmail/virtualusers/rtuser

4. Remove the setgid flag from rt-mailgate - it doesn't need it and you
   won't need anything setgid now.
chmod g-s /usr/local/rt2/rt-mailgate

5. Create a .qmail-default file in /var/qmail/virtualusers/rtuser
echo '|/usr/local/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate-tibus $LOCAL' > \
	/var/qmail/virtualusers/rtuser/.qmail-default

You can see that by now we're sending *ALL* email to anything at rt.domain.com
to our new script /usr/local/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate-tibus

What is rt-mailgate-tibus?  Here it is:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

my $lvar = shift;
my $action = ""; my $nextprog = "";
$lvar =~ s/rtuser-//;

if ($lvar =~ s/-comment$//i || $lvar =~ s/comment$//i) {
  $action = "comment";
} else {
  $action = "correspond";
}

$nextprog = "/usr/local/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue $lvar --action $action";

open(OUT, "|$nextprog");
while (<STDIN>) {
  print OUT $_;
}
close(OUT);

now chmod a+rx rt-mailgate-tibus

Send a HUP to qmails and now all mails to whatever at rt.domain.com
will be passed to your RT2 system - no need to create separate .qmail-
files or .qmail-blahcomment for each list - all you have to do to make a
new queue functional is create it in RT2.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Paul Gregg.