[rt-users] FastCGI Install Info for RT 2.0.X series

Sanity sanity at fretzel.net
Sat Oct 20 18:47:27 EDT 2001

Recently I switch from mod_perl to Mod_FastCGI for apache. For all of you
interested here is the config I used to get it all working.

The next two lines should go in your config anywhere after the
standard mod_fcgi load statements (if you load via a DSO) but before your
virtual host settings.

AddHandler fastcgi-script fcgi
FastCgiServer /usr/local/rt/bin/mason_handler.fcgi

Here is the only line you need to add to your virtual host config

ScriptAlias /rt2/ /usr/local/rt/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/

In the above example I am accessing RT via https://blah.com/rt2/ if you
want to use https://blah.com instead then your ScriptAlias line should
look like the one below..

ScriptAlias / /usr/local/rt/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/

Make sure to change any of the path statements to match where you installed
RT.

If you do not use the AddHandler and the FastCgiServer commands then
apache will not keep the mason_handler.fcgi program running between
requests. If the handler is not running between requests RT2 will run very
very slowly.

The config above worked very nicely for my install on Solaris 8 with
Apache 1.3.19/mod_perl/mod_php4/mod_ssl/+extra modules, YMMV.

FastCGI seems just as fast if not slightly faster than when we were using
mod_perl. The only problem I have seen so far with FastCGI is that the RT
logo does not show up however there have been a few posts to the rt-devel
list recently which should fix that, search the archives if you did not
see the posts.

-Sanity