[rt-users] Quick poll in support of RT2

David Fletcher david at micro-prince.com
Tue Oct 30 17:49:43 EST 2001

Hi,
We are using RT2 here with much success,  but we have a client that wants us
to install and support Blue Ocean's Track-It! Enterprise.  We are not
thrilled with the idea, and where wondering what kind of response we could
give to help them See The Light.

Here is a copy of his email:
/----------------------Begin Quote--------------------\
Since we had a lengthy discussion on how to track and monitor help desk work
orders for Coastal and others, lemme throw in my two cents (or less)
worth...

My vote goes towards Blue Ocean's Track-It! Enterprise for the following
reasons:

1)  It's already in use as the Standard version (nearly two years now).

2)  We don't have to recreate a wheel - it's already available with all the
features we've discussed for only $500 - $1500.

3)  Integrates inventory, purchasing, training and others.

4)  Runs on MS SQL or Oracle 8i/9i engines.

5)  Includes Crystal Reports 8 Pro with manuals, along with many pre-built
reports.

6)  Web interface.

7)  E'mail forms notifications.

I love the concept of creating a customized help desk solution using
non-standard software and OS's.  However, with time and money being critical
factors for any startup, I don't think this is necessarily the best use of
our time.  Of course we can all make our own desk and chairs, but why when
we can buy them inexpensively.

My official vote is to not recreate a cheap wheel.
\-----------------End Quote--------------------------/

As you can see by the last paragraph, this client has bought into some FUD.
We already have RT2 up and running and it works very well, but I think he is
under the impression that it would take huge amounts of time and effort to
implement, which we know not to be true.

Any thoughts appreciated.

David Fletcher
Micro-Prince Computers
(904)721-0867