[rt-users] Linking to external systems

Justin Hawkins justin at internode.com.au
Fri Apr 12 04:11:14 EDT 2002

Hi!

Loving RT, this time round my experience has been much more fun, given I
understand a bit more about Perl and Mason since the last time.

In fact I'm going to put this into production for our sales team in a week
or so.

There are a couple of things I'd like to do first though. The first one is
that we have an existing web-based app that handles our clients and
billing. Each object in that is referred to be a unique ID (a single
character check letter, and some digits).

I managed to modify the user stuff to allow me to use the
ExternalContactInfoId for this ID. And I can edit the id in the user
editor. No sweat so far.

I can even display the id next to the email address next to each email
address in the Requestors list (in the People boxes).

What I can't do, is link to the other web application using this. If I
provide a string with <A HREF ... etc in it, RT (Mason?) escapes it and I
of course see the actual string.

It seems that the 'right' way to do this might have something to do with
the URI2HTTP hash in in etc/config.pm - so rather than provide a entire
link in my code, I would do something like: ext://A123456. I may be wrong
here though. I can't get that to work though:

%URI2HTTP=
    (
      'http' => sub {return @_;},
      'https' => sub {return @_;},
      'ftp' => sub {return @_;},
      'ext' => sub {return "http://ext.intranet:8999";},
     'fsck.com-rt' => sub {warn "stub!";},
     'mozilla.org-bugzilla' => sub {warn "stub!"},
     'fsck.com-kb' => sub {warn "stub!"}
     );

Doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Otherwise, I am happy to do the <A HREFing myself, if I can stop the GUI
from escaping my code somehow.

My other web application needs to be simply referenced as
http://ext.intranet:8999/idnum

Any clues much appreciated.

	- Justin

--
Justin Hawkins
Internode Professional Access

Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming:
	Never test for an error condition you don't know how to
handle.