[rt-users] RT to go? Dependency graphs?

Matt Disney matthew.disney at fedex.com
Mon Apr 15 18:03:21 EDT 2002

Johan Ihren writes:
>Nope, didn't work. I get no reference to DTRT whatsoever from the UI
>and if I reference directly I get the error "RT Error: No ticket
>specified".
>
>But, since I see references a la "DTRT/Overview.html" in the *new*
>Elements/Tabs I suspect that whatever.html should actually be located
>in a subdirectory called "DTRT", so I shifted everything down one
>level into
>
>$PATH_TO_RT/WebRT/html/DTRT/
>
>and that "kind of worked". I can create tasks and new subtasks and so
>on.

Ah, yes. That's actually what I did. Sorry for the poor directions!

>I think this shows great promise and could be a really great addition
>for me. But before achieving that I think that I need
>
>a) a bit more integration. As it is, if I stumble out of DTRT then I
>   have to *know* my way back to find it.
>
>b) less focus on dates. I care much more about relationships between
>   tasks than I care about exact delivery dates. And although I may be
>   confused by the things I've stumbled on it seems to me that the
>   basis for DTRT structure is time stamps more than relationships.
>
>c) Working Gantt charts.

That's reasonable. Keep in mind, though, that this is basically just
contributed work that wasn't finished. I think this began as a
financially sponsored extension, but then the potential sponsors
disappeared. But that doesn't mean your requirements are invalid at
all, I just wanted to raise that point to be sure we keep our
expectations in perspective.

>Question 1: do you have the gantt charts working?

No, I also experienced the same problems you did. And actually, I'm not
really using the DTRT stuff in a production capacity. But, I soon may
be using my own extensions based on DTRT (merely the hierarchical view
stuff, actually) in production for project management.

>Question 2: in your experience, is it possible to work with DTRT with
>            focus on relationships between tasks rather than time?

Definitely. You can create a page that shows you a task and its
dependencies, but not any of the time data.

>Question 3: have you done any integration work between RT and DTRT?

No, and the integration work I do will probably be queue specific. I
doubt I'll be adding any Tabs or anything like that.  It will be more
like "only a couple of people will want this and they will access it
directly via a bookmark". Basically, we're going to have a "Projects"
queue that DTRT stuff is applicable for, but otherwise we probably
won't use it.

I'd be interested to hear what your design goals for RT and project
management would be. Maybe we could work together to iron out some of
the issues we've been experiencing with certain DTRT functionality and
then target some of the same goals.

Thanks,
Matt