[rt-users] RT to go? Dependency graphs?

Rob Walker rob at myinternetplace.net
Mon Apr 15 20:10:34 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 10:07, Johan Ihren wrote:

>    To make things worse, we are not always in one place. We travel, we
>    lose Internet connectivity (typically in hotel rooms, airports,
>    etc). At the same time such (disconnected) occasions are often the
>    best to get things off your personal list of things to do.
>
>    So what I would like to do is run RT on top of a replicated MySQL
>    db with slave replicas in our laptops. I fully realize that I
>    should restrict myself to read-only access to the replica, and any
>    writes while disconnected had better be done via an email-updater
>    (possibly enhanced-mailgate that I found in the contrib area).
>
>    Is this idea a strong indication of someone either finally going
>    bonkers or at least trying to fit a square nail into a triangular
>    hole? Or would it be possible to make this work in a reasonable
>    fashion? Anyone tried anything like that?

If you could get this to _work_ (for easy-to-use definitions of work)
and work well, you could sell RT2 implementations all over the world for
many many dollars.  Companies all over are dying for this sort of a
thing for their sales crew to be able to use.  Look at the CRM field,
and note that there are offerings there from everyone and their brother,
and at ridiculous costs as well.

When I was at VA Linux Systems, they needed disconnected functionality
(with auto-updates with re-connect) for their CRM.  I thought that the
convolutions were amazing to see, it was so important to the sales guys.

With disconnected operations, how do you create a new ticket?  Have my
userid in the name of it?  I don't know, myself, I haven't put that much
brainpower into it.

rob