[rt-users] RT to go? Dependency graphs?

Patrik Wallstrom pawal at blipp.com
Tue Apr 16 06:09:10 EDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Johan Ihren wrote:

> > A simple solution would be to mysqldump the database on the server,
> > and rsync the data over to your laptop, and then make an import on
> > your local setup.
>
> Yes, that would do it. However, that would lead to all of the data
> being brought over the network (and imported) each time, while using
> replication would bring this down to just deltas. Yes, with
> sufficiently infrequent deltas the update log may actually be larger
> than the end result, but that is not the environment I'm interested in
> and not typical of a ticketing system with thousands of old (hopefully
> resolved) tickets laying around in the database.

No, rsync is intelligent, you should look into it. It can sync through
ssh, or what you prefer.

But you have a point, all data is imported each time. This is bad if
you want write-access in your read-only client db. Maybe you can diff
the data on the server between exports, and use the intelligent SQL
output from mysqldump to recreate the database on the "client".

Btw, this is the output from rsync when I sync mail:

wrote 58862 bytes  read 90700 bytes  3021.45 bytes/sec
total size is 72043419  speedup is 481.70

--
patrik_wallstrom->foodfight->pawal at blipp.com->+46-709580442