[rt-users] RT misparsing From header

Smylers smylers at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon Apr 22 04:30:38 EDT 2002

Yesterday Sebastian Flothow wrote:

> Yesterday, someone sent a message to our RT instance with a From
> header like this:
>
> From: "Random, Joe" <jrandom at some-company.com>
>
> The mail then sent to the queue watchers had this header:
>
> From: ""@www-dmz.schloss-online.de, Random at www-dmz.schloss-online.de,
>     Joe " via RT" <webmaster-comment at schloss-online.de>
>
> (www-dmz.schloss-online.de is the machine running RT.)
>
> Any ideas what went wrong there, or how to correct it?

This sounds like what I postulated as being a problem a few week's ago:

  http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-users/2002-March/007455.html

However after some tests and off-list communication with Jesse I was
unable to produce this, so assumed my postulations were misguided.

> This is RT 2.0.13, sending mail via qmail.

We're using 'Exim'; Phil Oester who had the problem last time uses
'Sendmail'.  This could be significant.

Can you look up the entry for Joe Random's user account in 'RT' and look
to see what his real name is set to.  In particular, does it have quotes
in it?

It looks like quotes are being added in two places (one of them probably
being when "via RT" is appended).  The doubled quoting is of course
causing some words which should be quoted not to be, therefore they are
in places where an e-mail address should be.  And you've probably got
your MTA configured so that local e-mail addresses can consist of just
the username part and have the domain added automatically.

Those things combined makes what you're seeing seem plausible.  For
fixing this we're going to have to work out exactly where which quotes
are being added.

Simon
--
GBdirect