[rt-users] ParseNewMessageForTicketCcs and IsRTAddress()

Phil Homewood pdh at snapgear.com
Tue Apr 23 18:21:53 EDT 2002

Vivek Khera wrote:
> No, if you miss just a *single* address that ends up back at RT in
> that routine, you *will* cause a massive bounce-o-rama resulting in
> some poor customer having 1500 or so auto-responses in their mailbox,
> and your RT ticket with the same number of correspondences attached to
> it.  This will happen until you notice it and shut down your mail
> server until you can clean it all up.
>
> Been there.  Wasn't pretty.

What version of RT was that? How did you trigger it?

I can't duplicate it with 2.0.12.  Using an untouched IsRTAddress()
the worst I can get is the bounce detector kicking in.

There were some bugs in the loop detection fixed around 20 Sep 2001
(RT 2.0.8); could you have been bitten before then?

> Speaking of which, how does one go about cleaning out that massive
> looped correspondence from RT's database?

http://www.fsck.com/pub/rt/contrib/2.0/rt-addons/Censorware/ maybe?
(And yay for all the *&(*&% autoresponders out there which neither
honour nor preserve Precedence headers....)