[rt-users] https bug

Dan Riley dsr at mail.lns.cornell.edu
Wed Apr 24 13:54:50 EDT 2002

Vivek Khera <khera at kcilink.com> writes:
> dc> Simply remove the scheme from $WebBaseURL, and begin it with "//"; the
> dc> browser will use the scheme of the overall page.  For example:
>
> dc>   $WebBaseURL = "//rt.whereIam.com";
>
> Wow... that's a pretty cool trick.  How compatible is this across
> browsers?  In particular, does it work for IE5, IE6, Opera5, Opera6,
> Netscape4, Netscape6, Mozilla, and lynx-ssl?

Relative URLs, including //example.com/rt, /rt and ../rt, have been in
every URL/URI standard I know of since RFC 1630 (Berners-Lee, June
1994).  The only browser I know of that got any of them wrong was the
original NeXTStep browser T.B-L wrote at CERN (the very first WWW
browser, even before the CERN line-mode browser), which didn't support
'..' in URLs.

> I guess I could try it out, too.

And that's what made the web the way it is today...

--
"The mere tendency of speech to encourage unlawful acts is not a
sufficient reason for banning it. [...]  The right to think is the