[rt-users] https bug

Smylers smylers at gbdirect.co.uk
Thu Apr 25 04:03:20 EDT 2002

Yesterday Dan Riley wrote:

> Relative URLs, including //example.com/rt, /rt and ../rt, have been in
> every URL/URI standard I know of since RFC 1630 (Berners-Lee, June
> 1994).  The only browser I know of that got any of them wrong was the
> original NeXTStep browser T.B-L wrote at CERN ...

Brief testing yesterday (by coincidence, and nothing to do with 'RT')
uncovered what looks like a bug in the way 'IE' and 'Mozilla' handle
relative URLs.  If you're currently viewing this page:

  http://www.example.com/Search/Listing.html

then by my reading of RFC 1630, a relative URL such as this:

should resolve to this absolute URL:

  http://www.example.com/Search/?ClearRestrictions=1

but in 'IE' and 'Mozilla' it comes out as the following, failing to
disgard the bit following the final slash:

  http://www.example.com/Search/Listing.html?ClearRestrictions=1

(If my understanding of RFC 1630 is wrong and 'IE' and 'Mozilla' are
right, then 'Lynx' get's it wrong cos it does it t'other one.  Either
way round there seems to be a broken browser somewhere.)

Smylers
--
GBdirect
http://www.gbdirect.co.uk/