[rt-users] disable user creation

Smylers smylers at gbdirect.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 12:09:56 EDT 2002

Michael Goldman wrote:

> Hello, I was wondering if anyone has been able to find a way to
> disable the creation of a user when they submit a ticket or just in
> general.

It isn't clear whether you want to prevent the ticket from being
created or just not add the user to the system.

When a ticket is to be created from an e-mail that e-mail message must
be stored in the database and must have a valid user associated with it
so as to mentain referential integrity.

If you don't want anybody to be able to create tickets, then remove
the group rights for 'Everybody', and simply gives these rights to the
group of people you do want creating tickets.  This will cause mail from
'outsiders' to bounce back to them with a 'permission denied' message.

If you want anybody to be able to create tickets then anybody could end
up in your user table.  That's the way 'RT' works.

> We recieve a lot of out side e-mail but do not want to allow them
> access to the system at all.

By definition creating a ticket (or being mailed correspondence) is
accessing the system.  If you merely mean that you don't want them to
have web access, then that's simple enough: just don't give them
passwords (which by default 'RT' doesn't do anyway).

> Also this will help keep the users table smaller for our purposes.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting a small users table?

If you really want to have anybody able to create tickets but don't want
them in the user table I guess you could use CanonicalizeAddress in
config.pm to rewrite all non-allowed addresses to the same
pseudo-address.  That would only take up one row in the table.  But I
can't think why you'd want to.

For a start, you wouldn't be able to tell who'd submitted a request.

Smylers
--
GBdirect
http://www.gbdirect.co.uk/