[rt-users] disable user creation

Rich Lafferty rich+rt at lafferty.ca
Tue Aug 6 15:12:49 EDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:41:52PM -0400, Michael Goldman <mgoldman at engineering-geeks.net> wrote:
> I guess I'm just use to the RT 1 way of handleing things, where anybody
> would submit a ticket but they wouldn't actually be placed into the
> users table. Basically the idea for having a small user table, is so we
> can search through it very quickly to add users and remove users as that
> becomes required.
>
> We are going to be using this for a ticket program for
> postmaster/hostmaster issues where we get around 10,000 e-mails a day
> (mostly spam, but none-the-less).

But that's how it's *meant* to work, with users being created
automatically.  They don't get any extra privileges -- a record of
requestors has to go *somewhere*. Privileged users are always listed
separately where possible to make management easy. You *don't* have
to add users and remove users from the 10,000 if you don't want to.

In other words, I don't understand why you think what RT does is
incorrect (and I lean heavily toward it being correct).

Perhaps you're solving the wrong problem, and need to put spamassassin
or similar in front of RT?

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!