[rt-users] RT2 Speed/performance problems.

David C. Troy dave at toad.net
Tue Aug 20 11:51:56 EDT 2002

> > On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 03:06:05PM +0800, Maren S. Leizaola <maren at leizaola.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > 3-10 seconds is the norm, for us it does not cut it.
> >
> > So yours takes 5-10x as long as mine when I use Mozilla, but runs on
> > faster hardware. Still think it's RT?
>
> Well this is what I see...
>
> The board is an ASUS P2BF-D (old but great board), with two PII 450Mhz,
> the machine has 512MB of RAM, the disks are running on a promise raid
> TX2-100. The disks are idle, the HTTP deamons eat CPU like there is no
> tomorow, and they inflate themselves like zepplins, even with only one
> user.

If you really don't care about solving your problem, you should seek
another solution.  But it really does sound like you have a problem with
your version of Apache/mod_perl that's causing this.  That hardware should
not have a problem.

> I also think that RT UI is designed for large teams and the number of
> clicks at the interface are execessive for smaller support teams. Less
> clicks more speed more e-mails out. With RT1 we could respond about 10% of
> e-mails in under 5 mins, as it was quick and nimble.

This is a non-issue.  I can process 20 tickets assigned to me with three
clicks per ticket (one to view it, one to reply, one to save the
response), and no perceivable delays between clicks.  If you have it setup
some other way then you have it configured wrong.

Dave

David C. Troy   [dave at toad.net]                   410-544-6193 Sales
ToadNet - Want to go fast?                        410-544-1329 FAX
570 Ritchie Highway, Severna Park, MD 21146-2925  www.toad.net