[rt-users] Newbie new install can't login as root.

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Sat Aug 24 11:36:32 EDT 2002

[ email reformatted at no extra charge ]

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Daniel F. Chief Security Engineer - wrote:

> On Friday 23 August 2002 11:28, Daniel F. Chief Security Engineer - wrote:

Somene else (Josh Rowe) mentioned that a particular version of
Exception::Class may be causing errors, and upgrading it might be a Good
Thing;

: I upgraded Exception::Class to 1.04 and the dependancy tests all worked
: fine.

> > > yes I did instal Apache::DBI it would not start with out it. So I just
> > > did a perl -MCPAN -e 'install Apache::DBI' for it.

Note that whenever you (re)install perl libraries related to RT, you will
need to fully stop and then start apache.  Although this may not be your
problem, doing this (to get around any perl library caching that
apache/mod_perl is doing) does make things a lot easier.

> > okay I have a change here. I messed around with some of the file perms and
> > now I get an error on the web UI that I have the wrong user name or
> > password for the root user. I tried password as the pass even though I
> > changed it on the command line like the manule suggests.
>
> This is the only error I can find and I have set the password via the command
> line.
>
> >From the apache access_log
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [23/Aug/2002:17:08:00 -0500] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 3145
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [23/Aug/2002:17:08:00 -0500] "GET /NoAuth/webrt.css
> HTTP/1.1" 200 1533

The above indicates a successful transfer (200) of the login screen (/)
and the style sheet (webrt.css), and doesn't immediately say 'weird
permissions problem'.  I suspect that your problem may actually lie in
your web browser.  Both Mozilla 0.97 and Opera have 'issues' with RT
(mainly due to caching) documented in RT/FM (http://www.fsck.com/rtfm/).

> Is there some kind of weird premissions problem.

Regards,

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security