[rt-users] RT2 and oracle?

Joop van de Wege JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Tue Aug 27 06:10:18 EDT 2002

> From: "Matthew Watson" <mwatson at netspace.net.au>
> To: <rt-users at lists.fsck.com>
> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:11:13 +1000
> Subject: [rt-users] RT2 and oracle?
>
> Hi,
>
>  Whats the current status of RT2 and oracle? I'd like to try and get it
> going on oracle as I'm having mega problems with table locks in mysql?
>
> Regards
> Matthew Watson
> Development, Netspace Online Systems
> mwatson at netspace.net.au
I have RT2 (2.0.13) working against Oracle 8.1.7 ,albeit the 32bit
version. The 64bit version didn't work because I got errors during the
compilation of DBD::Oracle. It should be possible but I just don't have
the time to sort things out. Will do that because I want to setup a test
environment for RT2 so that I can play around with scrips and user
rights etc.

Changes I did sofar are:
- got rid of the LIMIT keyword in SearchBuilder. Oracle doesn't have it
and I don't need it. It is possible to construct something like LIMIT
but I suspect it will be quite db resource intensive.
- I'm using CLOBS at the moment where TEXT is used in mysql.
  (problem is that binary attachments don't work. Need that test
  environment to check out BLOB's instead of CLOB's)
- did something about the LEFT JOIN construction of SearchBuilder,
Oracle uses a different syntax so I rewrite the query after it is made
with SearchBuilder so it conforms to Oracle specs. It isn't pretty but
it works.
- include a couple of Perl statements in config.pm to get ORACLE_HOME
back into the user which runs RT.

Thats about it, I think.

Sofar this has work great for our organisation which supports about a
dozen companies, mainly Oracle installations using our own application
and supporting their networks and computers.

Joop