[rt-users] Changes to system

Smylers smylers at gbdirect.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 12:00:36 EST 2002

Steve Greenland wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 10:59:43AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
>
> > If you got say, invoice number 14 from a company, would you think
> > they were big or small, or would you think they just started a new
> > invoicing system?
>
> If I cared about how big or small they were, I'd have done some
> research before I got around to being invoiced. If I got a low ticket
> number from a PTS, I'd probably assume they were using a new
> system...or that they didn't have many problems. :-) <Shrug>.
>
> This kind of stuff (like businesses not accepting checks with low
> numbers) just seems (at best) silly, or (in the check case) stupid,
> because any judgement you make based on these kinds of numbers is
> completely invalid: I can set ticket numbers to whatever I like, and I
> can buy checks with whatever numbers I like, so what's the point?
>
> People are funny, I guess.

We started at 1 (but used up almost a hundred just in testing).  The
advantage of bigger numbers is that they are more identifiable as RT
tickets.  If I yell "four-seven-seven-nine" across the office (or even
just mention it in passing in a conversation, people here will realize
it's a ticket number, because that's the most likely context.  Saying
"eight" has so many possible contexts that people wouldn't guess.

Also, small numbers keep changing how many digits they contain, which
makes sundry tickets not line up quite as well.  Had we started at 10000
then we could've had five-digit ticket numbers for a long time.

Smylers
--
GBdirect
http://www.gbdirect.co.uk/