[rt-users] Mail loop

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Mon Dec 30 16:05:57 EST 2002

>>>>> "DFCSE" == Daniel F Chief Security Engineer <-" <danielf at supportteam.net>> writes:

DFCSE> Has anyone on this list run into a mail loop with another
DFCSE> autoresponder.  Is there someway to setup RT or Sendmail to
DFCSE> detect the loop and stop sending mail to the autoresponder.

What version of RT?

I actually had some Klez variang hit my support queue with the return
address as the other address to which it listens, resulting in about
45,000+ attachments to one particular ticket, and a very full mail
queue and mailboxes for the admins.  Not a pretty sight.

It turned out to be a bug in the 2.0.14 loop detector (or somewhere
along the chain of code that comprizes it.)

Now, if this autoresponder discards the entire original mail and
creates a new one with its contents, then you're hosed.  There's no
way to detect that it was in response to something you sent...