[rt-users] RT speed problem

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Thu Feb 7 14:41:50 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Darren Nickerson wrote:

>   Vivek> Or, do it the easy way: diff the schema files between older and newer
>   Vivek> release and add the necessary indexes.
>
> Easy for YOU perhaps. I started out that way, . . . but the diffs were huge
> and hard to interpret because of all of other stuff that has changed which is
> immaterial. I has nightmares for weeks after that.
>
> Unless you eat database schemas for lunch, I'd vote for export, drop, recreate,
> import any day!

If you are running MySQL, you can do the neat trick of shutting down
MySQL, renaming the current RT table files to effectively a different
database (eg, rt-old), starting mysql, creating your new schema and then
merrily having a script running doing SQL manipulations to put in the new
data.

Its what I plan to do if I have to upgrade the tables on a machine where
the SQL tables are larger than the current free disk on the machine.

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B                      Operations