[rt-users] 1st Install, Web Interface broke, can't begin to admin

Michael F Kukla kukla at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Feb 15 11:49:54 EST 2002

	We are new to rt. We've just installed rt2.0.11 on a machine running red
hat linux 7.2 and its pre-installed perl 5.6.0.

	As I will detail below, everything seems to be installed and configured
properly: mod-perl compiled statically with apache  (as revealed by typing
httpd -l) and so on.

        However, when we try to get the web interface, typing either

        http://hostname/rt2
or
        http://127.0.0.1/rt2

we get an abortive sort of  web page which includes only the top RT banner
telling us we are "Not Logged in" along with  a second banner with this
error message

        "You are not an authorized user"

        Below this is the centered table block with gray background where
one normally logs into RT, (or so I guess).  However  instead of getting
two text input fields and a submit button, the table block is devoid of
any html form elements and includes only RT's copyright notice.

        We cannot get over this hurdle, and of course cannot configure
users, queues or anything else till we do.

	Our Apache version is 1.3.23 and we have installed the latest versions of
mod perl and mysql.

	Mason and Apache::DBI were installed by hand, all the other prerequisite
perl modules using make fixdeps.

	We can log into the rt database without any problem via the
command line.

I.e.,

	> mysql -u rt_user -p rt2

works just fine.

	Please note that we are cognizant of the need to use apachetcl to
stop and start apache after making any attempts to fix this. But the problem
doesn't seem to be with Apache.  Apache's error log doesn't show any
complaints at all.  All the same, the relevant parts of httpd.conf follow
below

Alias /rt2 "/opt/rt2/WebRT/html"
PerlRequire /opt/rt2/bin/webmux.pl
PerlModule Apache::DBI
PerlFreshRestart On
<Location /rt2>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler RT::Mason
</Location>

<Directory "/opt/rt2/WebRT/html">
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Per the RT manual I have also tried the setup above without including

PerlModule Apache::DBI
PerlFreshRestart On

But this makes no difference

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated

Mike Kukla,
Erstwhile Web Developer
The College of Arts and Sciences, University at Buffalo
kukla at buffalo.edu