[rt-users] external authentication

Jim Meyer purp at wildbrain.com
Wed Feb 27 16:04:01 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 09:55, Bruce Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>
> > Can RT use external username/password authentication modules?
>
> Yes.  You will need to write a bit of code (to call your other code) to
> sit within your config.pm to do so, flip the appropriate clearly-labled
> switches within there, and it should work.
>
> > I've got an AIX4.2 system that everyone has an account on. I'm developing an
> > in-house inetd based authentication system so that I can then use it in a
> > number of distributed systems we have within the group - one
> > username/password per user regardless of which system or app they are using.
>
> Urm.  Do not pass passwords in the clear.  Basic security.

What he said, though I'm not sure that what you said implied cleartext
passwords.

We're aiming for the one user, one password paradigm, too; we're
standardizing around the UNIX passwd file (as served via YP/NIS/NIS+).
We've chosen to have RT sync itself from our NIS server's passwd map
whenever the passwd map changes. It took a little scripting and some
Makefile work, but it's proved effective.

Cheers!

--j
Jim Meyer, Geek At Large                              purp at wildbrain.com