[rt-users] Syncing Unix & RT Passwords

Jim Meyer purp at wildbrain.com
Tue Jan 22 19:05:04 EST 2002

Howdy!

I don't know if it's interesting or useful to anyone else, but I wrote a
quick script (in Python -- please hold your groans until the end ;)
which runs through the "users" table of the database, renames users
whose accounts are email addresses in the local domain, and synchronizes
encrypted password strings for those users who have an identically named
UNIX account.

Things to consider in this solution:
* Every user account for the local mail domain will end up with a
password they control. This is a good thing for us, but your site may
rely on the creation of accounts without passwords as a means of
obscuring the ticket system from internal users.

* This script acts directly on the database; while I'm pretty sure I
guarded against bogus data making it in, I make no guarantees.

* The database stores simple crypted passwords; if you're using anything
else (e.g. MD5) I suspect you'll be out of luck. I haven't tested this
yet.

I wanted to write it in Perl, but I couldn't figure out how to properly
read a user from the database quickly enough. I'd be very open to
someone helping me figure that out; I'd much prefer an integrated
approach.

Cheers!

--j
Jim Meyer, Geek At Large                              purp at wildbrain.com