[rt-users] RT and dotqmaildashext

Karel P Kerezman greyduck at greyduck.net
Tue Jan 29 14:11:19 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 09:17, Rich Lafferty wrote:
> There's a cryptic warning in the RT installation docs that I'm having
> trouble figuring out. It reads:
>
>    The usual place to put aliases in qmail is ~alias. However, qmail
>    runs piped system commands as the local alias user, and this causes
>    problems with the suid-wrapped rt-mailgate. The following two
>    examples show different methods to get around this. Note that both
>    methods require the creation of a local user called 'rt'.
>
> and then suggests using ~rt/.qmail-QUEUENAME or using users/assign to
> get the mail handled properly. I can't figure out what the "problems"
> the author mentions could be (especially since rt-mailgate isn't
> suid-wrapped at all -- it's setgid, no wrapper.)
>
> Does anyone recall why ~alias/.qmail-QUEUENAME with
> "|/path/to/rt-mailgate" in shouldn't work?

I never figured out WHY it didn't work, it simply refused to work.
However... please disregard that set of instructions and use the "Method
2" option. Those instructions work flawlessly (as I've verified on my
test-rig RT2 2.0.11 install just two weeks ago) and absolutely supercede
my original write-up.

(Note to doc maintainers... feel free to excise Method 1 from the docs,
as it's nowhere near as elegant as Method 2.)

--
Karel P Kerezman, IS Admin Entercom Portland
http://greyduck.net