[rt-users] setuid

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Sat Jul 13 16:15:19 EDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Chris Knipe wrote:

> Does anyone have an idea why rt-mailgate aren't able to setuid?
>
> I know it's more than likely a error related towards my MTU or a system

If it is related to your system's MTU size, I'll eat my normal head
covering.

Several answers in the FAQ answer your question:

	http://www.fsck.com/rtfm/search.html?LimitContent=setuid

> related issue, but I can't seem to shake it.  I've added the rt group to
> Exim's trusted users, but that also didn't seem to be able to solve the
> problem.

'trusted users' in most MTAs refers to the users that are allowed to set
the 'From' or 'Sender' address to something other than that username.
Unless exim has changed some stuff recently, I don't think it refers to
users allowed to do special things when receiving mail.

> Relevant MTU is exim-3.36 calling RT via the aliasfile driver,
>
> The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:
>
> ------ pipe to |/usr/local/rt/bin/rt-mailgate --queue xxx --action
> correspond
>        generated by xxx at xxx.co.za ------

Have you tried running rt-mailgate as the user exim tries to run it as?
This should be in group 'rt'.

> Can't do setuid

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security