[rt-users] Installation: No RT user found. Please consult yo ur RT administrator.

Blackstone, J. David jdavid.blackstone at cingular.com
Wed Jul 17 15:06:13 EDT 2002

During installation:
$ whoami
rt
$ /path/to/rtadmin --user=root --password="<newpassword>"
No RT user found. Please consult your RT administrator.
$ /path/to/rtadmin --user=rt --password="<newpassword>"
No RT user found. Please consult your RT administrator.
$ /path/to/rtadmin
No RT user found. Please consult your RT administrator.
$ su
Password:
# /path/to/rtadmin --user=root --password="<newpassword>"
User root Password: The new value has been set.
# ^D

  I'm told to type this command during installation to avoid an important
security hole with the default root RT user password.  I have compiled and
installed everything (from Perl to rt itself) as a UNIX user called "rt".
Apparently there is some confusion between the root RT user and the root
UNIX user; I cannot run the rtadmin command except as root.

jdb