[rt-users] Where has all my memory gone!

Harald Wagener hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com
Thu Jul 25 13:53:55 EDT 2002

Sven Sternberger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I try for several weeks to tune my rt box. The problem is
> that after 1 or 2 days all the memory has been eaten by rt
> and the programm start to become slow.

Are You sure it is RT that eats Your memory? I haven't seen memory contention
on my RT box, and it is up for 56 days now.

> I already set the MaxRequestsPerChild to 1.500, but It helps
> not really.
>
> My question
>
> 1.)is it okay to lower the number for example on 500?
> 2.)I see about 500 lines per day
> [Tue Jul 23 21:59:57 2002] [notice] child pid 28642 exit signal
> Segmentation fault (11)
> Is it normal? Is it related to my memory problem?

This is a known issue with some setups of apache wit mod_perl as a dynamically
shared object.
 The usual solution is to build apache with mod_perl compiled in statically. I
run a stock apache/mod_perl setup on redhat 7.2 for RT without any problems,
but this is a question of load.

Regards,
    Harald

--