[rt-users] Links and Tickets and Actions, Oh My!

Kris Boulez Kris.Boulez at algonomics.com
Fri Mar 1 03:42:12 EST 2002

Quoting Swayne, Mark A (mark.a.swayne at xo.com):
> Can someone please help me get my head around how linking tickets in RT 2
> works.
>
> We appear to have kinds of links:
> * Parent/Child
> * Depends On/Depended On
> * Related to
> * Merge
>
> I wouldn't have included merge, if I hadn't read some old discussions on the
> subject in the RT-Devel archives.
>
> What I would like to know about each link type is:
> Does this link type cause a change in how a ticket acts (eg, do any special
> constraints or side effects closing a ticket apply as a result of this link)
> ?  How?
>
> I got the impression that it is possible to tie Actions to link types.  I'm
> really fuzzy on how this would work. Is this how particular behaviours are
> associated with a link type?

I've asked myself the same questions. These links look really cool, but
I looked through the archives of this list (only a recent subscriber)
and found some postings (sorry no URL's) that there was nothing more
behind these links. A quick look through the code pointed in the same
direction (i.e. code to manage all the links, but no actions coupled to
it).

P.S. I hope I'm very wrong on this and someone explains us all the magic
:) behind these links.

Kris,