[rt-users] no outgoing mail.

Smylers smylers at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 07:00:00 EST 2002

Gary Stainburn wrote:

> On Friday 22 March 2002 2:49 pm, Smylers wrote:
>
> > Gary Stainburn wrote:
> >
> > > I am right in thinking 'comment' only records it inside RT but reply
> > > sends an email?
> >
> > Not really.  The idea is that reply is for mailing responses to the
> > Requestor (and CCing your staff as well), and that comment just mails
> > your staff for discussing stuff internally that you don't want the
> > Requestor to know about.
>
> This is really getting weard now.
>
> Based on your description above, if I create a ticket as 'tanveer', and reply
> as 'gary', it should generate an email - it did't. Nor did it generate an
> error message anywhere to show that it tried and failed.
>
> The global scrips I've got are (presumably defaulted):
> OnComment NotifyOtherRecipientsAsComment with template Correspondence
> OnCorrespond NotifyOtherRecipients with template Correspondence

If you look up those ScripActions in the database, you'll see that they
involve NotifyAsComment and Notify (respectively) with an argument of
"OtherRecipients".  I think OtherRecipients are new in version 2.0.12.
They are other non-'RT' recipients of the original message (so if the
Requestor mailed your 'RT' system and CCed the message to a third party,
that third party would be the OtherRecipients).

> which looks like how you described the actions above Smylers.

What you need is something that notifies Requestors.

> To me, this suggests that somewhere there is a problem telling RT to not
> carry out the above actions, or that in carrying them out, something fails
> quite early on - i.e. before getting to the sendmail stage.

Yes-ish.

> However, when I added the following scrip to one of my queues, it
> successfully managed to send emails to all watchers when I resolved a test
> ticket.
>
> OnResolve NotifyAllWatchers with template Resolved

Cos that one is mailing all Watchers.

You probably want something like

  OnCorrespond NotifyAllWatchers with template Correspondence

That'll let everybody know when something happens.  For OnComment you
probably don't want Requestors to be informed (that would defeat the
purpose of the OnCorrespond/OnComment distinction), so you'd use
something like:

  OnComment NotifyOwner with template AdminComment
  OnComment NotifyAdminCcsAsComment with template AdminComment

Smylers
--
GBdirect
http://www.gbdirect.co.uk/