[rt-users] Incorrect Return-Path in Outgoing Email

Casey McCarthy mac at uncommongoods.com
Fri May 10 11:06:43 EDT 2002

Hi all, first of all I would like to say that RT is a great product, we
just upgraded from 1.0 to 2.0 and it works wonderfully. Thanks to all those
that worked on it.

I have only one problem remaining. All of our e-mails go through a server
named monk.int.uncommongoods.com and get forwarded to
sandman.int.uncommongoods.com (the server that RT runs on). Both use Qmail
as the MTA. The problem is that the email is sent out with a return-path of
"sandman.int.uncommongoods.com" instead of "queuename at uncommongoods.com"
where queuename is the actual queuename. This causes a lot of emails sent
out to bounce, since other MTAs won't except messages with return-paths
from the non-public domain (sandman.int.uncommongoods.com). How do i change
that to a public domain (uncommongoods.com). Below is the bounced message
(I xxx'd out the actual e-mail address).
Thanks so much in advance to whoever can help me!

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sandman.int.uncommongoods.com.
<xxx at xxx.com>:
Connected to 212.114.202.114 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 501 5.1.8 <root at sandman.int.uncommongoods.com>... Domain
of sender address root at sandman.int.uncommongoods.com does not exist