[rt-users] Proper Server for RT

Dan Shearer dan at tellurian.com.au
Thu May 16 05:36:31 EDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

* Crespo, Ramon <Ramon.Crespo at stis.com> [20020506 18:06]: wrote:

> I was wondering what everyone was running RT on. I'm looking to purchase a
> new server to run RT on. The users here are complaining that its too slow. I
> hear the drives churning loudly as well. I'm wondering if its a software
> issue or an actual network issue. Currently I have it running on the
> following.
>
> - Digital PWS600au
> - FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE
> - 256MB of RAM
> - 2 SCSI-2 HDD's 4GB (system) 8GB (backup)
> - Apache 1.3.22
> - mod_perl 1.2.6

Ramon, that is almost exactly one of my configurations, except I'm using
Linux and the Alpha has less memory. I use the Apache and Psql
optimisations that people here keep suggesting (and I keep meaning to add
to the docs.) However, my load is almost exclusively artificially
generated, and not very well at that :-)

If you compare with Odhiambo's hardware, I'd say what you have is probably
faster, except the hard drives may have a bit slower spin rate.

--
Dan Shearer
Open Source Manager
dan at tellurian.com.au