[rt-users] Installation on Cobalt RaQ XTR

Bob Apthorpe arclight at jump.net
Wed May 22 23:04:04 EDT 2002

Also, a point to remember: regardless of platform, if you are upgrading a
version of CPAN prior to 1.5x, ALWAYS UPGRADE MANUALLY.

If you've never used CPAN, go to
http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=module&query=CPAN
download the tarball and install and configure it.

If your version of CPAN is already configured but is older than (say) 1.52,
either install the tarball (as above) or have CPAN grab it for you via:

    perl -MCPAN -e 'get "CPAN";'

and install it manually.

If you're curious, I can explain why CPAN appears to go berserk sometimes,
attempting to 'helpfully' upgrade core perl when installing otherwise
innocuous modules (like CPAN...) The solution is to manually upgrade CPAN
beyond version 1.48. I believe this problem plagues perl versions earlier
than 5.6.1 or 5.7.x. though realistically, with packaged software you often
have little idea what version your idiot vendor has stuck you with. The
current version of CPAN is 1.61 and I haven't had any trouble with it.

Back to the subject of Cobalts - how angry do they get if you install a
second, less broken perl alongside (rather than in place of) the vendor's
distribution? You'd need to change the prefix and the library directory at a
minimum.

-- Bob
P.S: On a completely unrelated note, if you need help convincing Sun's stock
perl on Solaris to use gcc instead of Sun's 'compiler advertisement'
(/usr/ccs/bin/cc) so you can install additional modules, use CPAN, etc., drop
me a line. It's pretty easy but involves a little deft maneuvering with a
coat hanger (metaphorically speaking). I've done it on many Solaris boxes
ranging from v5.5.1 to v8.