[rt-users] Installation on Cobalt RaQ XTR

josh josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us
Thu May 23 08:40:24 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 11:48:01AM +1000, Andrew Yager wrote:
> DO NOT UPGRADE PERL!!!!
>
> Nothing will work!!!! It is VERRY VERRRY VERRRY bad on a cobalt!!!!

This is quite true. Oh, and so everyone nows the version of Perl that
comes with them is current enough according to the install
notes. Cobalts are (at least my RaQ XTR is ) Intel processor machines
(some older ones were MIPS) that are using RedHat with a customized
driven by an apache server, a postgresql database, and a lot of perl
scripts. If you see a similarity to say, 'rt', you'll realize where
the trouble is because I would, ideally like to use the same apache
server, database server, and perl for rt.

As it is an appliance it seems to rightly appeal to people who just
want something they can mount in a rack, and not have to mess
with. While I'd like that too, I was expecting to have to customize
more anyhow since I'm adapting it to serve my business, which is a
public library, not an ISP.

> If u send me a list of the problems you are having, I regularly configure &
> install rt on cobalts - I may be able to help.

Well most of it seems related to the Perl. The two things that are
still confusing are which database to use. There is a MySQL package,
which I installed and looks like it would work, though Postgres is
also installed and I would like to user that eventually. The MySQL is
only one release too old according to the doc.

The biggest problem for me is figuring out how to create the users and
locate the web site. These are web appliances so if I create an RT
user through the web interface, I'd wind up with a ~rt web site - that
I don't want. I'd like to create a support.mydomain.org web site as a
home for the rt system. The Cobalts, designed for web hosting, can
create multipble web site almost by accident. Virtual domains are
easily supported, but there is a maze of symlinks. Do I try to get RT
to install in place of the site for the domain.

> Andrew
>
> On 22/5/02 7:36 AM, "Swayne, Mark A" <mark.a.swayne at xo.com> wrote:
>
> > I can't say anything about how to downgrade back to a previous Perl version.
> > But to avoid this problem, decline to update perl, and update the CPAN
> > module itself.  Newer versions do not attempt to shove a perl upgrade down
> > your throat.

This is really a FAQ. The instructions to install a new CPAN module to
avoid the problem were in the Installation Guide that I downloaded,
more toward back than I would've liked. I think everyone should note,
that at least earlier in this week, the CPAN upgrade does not wipe out
the old version. After upgrading there were three perl binaries in
/usr/bin/; perl, perl5.6.1, and perl5.00503. The 'perl' was an exact
copy of perl5.6.1. I simply copied perl5.00503 to perl. [ Keeping old
and new versions with either a copy or a symlink to the system default
name used to be a very common way of upgrading programs at unix
sites. When I was working at a university you had to keep all the old
versions of everything for professors who needed to keep using the old
versions for classes while converting to the new version.]

> > If you can, I would recommend using the latest perl with mason--especially
> > if you are currently using 5.6.0.
> >
> > Some people (especially linux users) are reporting success using Mason with
> > the latest mod_perl and perl 5.6.1 compiled as a DSO.  You could try this
> > config.
> >
> > Another option, if you have a support contract, is to harass Sun about your
> > problems with the RAQ.  They should really make current software support
> > available for server appliance users.

Support? I am the support. Which is to say, yes Sun should keep it
more current, but I believe it is current enough anyhow.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us