[rt-users] Making RT invisible - changing subject lines

Dirk Pape pape-rt at inf.fu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 1 03:15:42 EST 2002

--On Donnerstag, 31. Oktober 2002 19:05 Uhr -0500 Jesse Vincent
<jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> I've actually pondered this in the past. I even almost implemented it.
> But I've become more and more convinced that it will result in the
> wrong thing happening often enough to become a major pain in the ass.
>
>> There could be many problems.   For example, a customer
>> who never actually creates a new message when submitting a
>> ticket, but rather replies to an old, dead ticket and replaces
>> the subject.   That works in RT as designed, but would break
>> with the In-Reply-To parsing.
>
> Also, don't forget all those mail clients which don't include
> refers-to or in-reply-to headers, like /bin/mail and SMS gateways.

Yes, Exchange for instance does not use In-Reply-To and Reference headers.
And also don't forget that some users are not aware of any threading
feature. They just reuse an answer from RT, reply-to it, and change the
subject to issue a new request.

In this case you have to unmerge a ticket in RT to identifie the new
request, which seems to be extremely complicated.

Regards,
Dirk.

--
Dr. Dirk Pape (Leiter des Rechnerbetriebs)
FB Mathematik und Informatik der FU-Berlin