[rt-users] Using RT to track system changes..

Dustin Puryear dpuryear at usa.net
Sun Nov 3 00:24:19 EST 2002

We are looking at RT for use in both tracking client and internal technical
issues as well as tracking changes that we make to systems. The first use
is obviously what RT was designed to do. As for tracking system changes,
that is another matter altogether. Essentially, we would like to have a
standardized system whereby when we make a change to a server, be it UNIX
or Windows, we can either send an email or submit a change entry via the
web to a database. I'm thinking that we can RT for just this.

Has anyone done anything like this? How did this work out for you? Have you
used any other software to do something like this? If so, what?

Right now we use a combination of high-level management logs (ie.,
installed LDAP service for...) in a spreadsheet for each client down to
system-level change logs (ie., chmod xxx to file xyz so that..) via a local
script on each machine that dumps to a text file. This works, but isn't
scaling very well. I'd like something that is searchable, allows comments,
file uploads, and so forth. RT does all this, but isn't really designed for
it. So, there may be issues I'm thinking.

One thing I would like to see is a way for one of us to send an email
through rt-mailgate that creates a closed ticket item. Say, a tech. sends
mail to clientname-change at example.com and then rt adds this item to the
queue clientname-changes as a closed ticket. (Alternatively, we could just
periodically go through all tickets for queue clientname-changes and
resolve them.) Does this sound viable? I'm thinking we would then have a
nice, searchable database of changes made to systems that can be added to
via a webpage or email.

Any further ideas or suggestions on this idea? I doubt this is too
original, so if anyone else has done this, please step forward!

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin at puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology