[rt-users] ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.biz
Sun Nov 17 02:33:54 EST 2002

* Jerry Hsieh <jerry at intervideo.com> [20021116 05:25]: wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I experienced the following error and I had try to reinstall mysql (some one
> make the error goes away after reinstall, but not to me), and search the
> message archive from the list but did not get any luck. On top of that, I
> also have some questions:

That error should not make you reinstall mysql. What you normally should do
when you forget the root password for mysql is to follow the instructions
below:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Resetting_permissions.html

> - I run mysqladmin -u root -p it works
> - in mysqladmin help, it says "Default options are read from the following
> files in the given order: /etc/my.cnf /usr/local/mysql/var/my.cnf ~/.my.cnf"
> but I never find any of those files.

You can find samples of the files by doing:

find /usr/local/ -type f -name "my-*"

On a FreeBSD system with MySQL installed from the ports, the files would be
found in /usr/local/share/mysql. You need to look at the sample files and
decide which one best decsribes your site requirements and then copy it to
/etc/my.cnf, then edit the values that your requirements dictate that you
change.

> What should I do to make the error go away? Your help is highly appreciated,
> thanks.
>
>                         s'!!DB_DATABASE!!'"rt2"'g;" //opt/rt2/etc/acl.mysql
> bin/initacls.mysql '/usr/local/mysql' 'localhost' '' 'root' '"123456"   '
> 'rt2' '//opt/rt2/etc/acl.mysql'
> Enter the mysql administrator's database password to create a new user for
> RT
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)
> Enter the mysql administrator's database password to nondestructively reload
> the database
> /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)'
> make: *** [acls] Error 1

Well, follow the instructions above, set the correct password for root in
/etc/my.cnf and also in the Makefile for rt2 and you'll mostly succeed.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington, wash at wananchi.com	. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
http://ns2.wananchi.com/~wash/		. 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223			. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |