[rt-users] /usr/lib/rt stuff

Steve Greenland steveg at lsli.com
Wed Nov 20 11:04:52 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:28:12PM -0500, Owen B. Mehegan wrote:
> Ugh. Now I just get this error:
>
> DBI->connect(dbname=rt;host=localhost) failed: FATAL 1:  Password
> authentication failed for user "www-data" at
> /usr/share/perl5/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 117
> Connect Failed FATAL 1:  Password authentication failed for user "www-data"
>  at tools/insertdata line 27

Just to make life *extremely* interesting, the password it's looking for
is not the one associated with the www-data unix user, but the www-data
postgresql user.

If you can get into psql as the admin user (typically "postgres") do
this:

	select * from pg_user;

and see if you have actually created a www-data user. If so, try setting
the password back to something you know (see the postgres manual for how
to do this.)

If you *can't* get in, put this in your pg_hba.conf:

local        all                                           trust

run 'psql -U postgres template1', fix your passwords in the db, and then
take the above major security hole back out of your pg_hba.conf.

> Kill me.

DB user management is invariably complicated and poorly documented. Or
maybe I'm just too dumb to deal with it.

Steve

--
"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything! I'll ask
about Exchange Server next.