[rt-users] make install fails - using postgresql for db.

Adam Spiers rt at adamspiers.org
Thu Nov 21 13:31:57 EST 2002

Way back in February, Swayne, Mark A (mark.a.swayne at xo.com) wrote
this regarding getting RT to work with PostgreSQL connections via UNIX
domain sockets:
> Deleting the host name from the Makefile fixed my problem.
>
> DB_HOST   =
>
> Please update the install docs to indicate that this might be a good idea.
> It would have saved me HOURS.

<plea>

Please listen to your users! :-(

I started installing RT 2.0.15 with PostgreSQL this morning, and if
you had updated the docs as Mark suggested, you would have saved me
hours too :-(  It's somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for finally getting
round to trying out what I already know by reputation to be a great
product.  Sorry to delurk on a negative note, but it really does make
a big difference when sticking points like this are well-documented.

</plea>

I suspect this is not the only PostgreSQL-related issue.  I could well
be wrong, because it's the first time I've used PostgreSQL too, but
here's my take on things:

The comment in Makefile regarding DB_DBA:

  # For Pg, you probably want 'postgres'

is correct, I think.  However, it's not at all clear what the
corresponding DB_DBA_PASSWORD should be.  Admittedly this is more
of a PostgreSQL issue.  Anyone know the default password, if there
even is one?  If not, the following is even more relevant:

initdb calls prompt_for_dba_password() regardless of whether
DB_DBA_PASSWORD is set in the Makefile or not.  Furthermore, I
don't believe it caters for the possibility that you might not
actually want to use passwords - for instance if you are making
use of SO_PEERCRED for UNIX domain sockets, where just having the
relevant euid is considered sufficient authentication.

So I've ended up configuring PostgreSQL for md5 password-based
authentication, even though I'd much rather use SO_PEERCRED in this
instance, which avoids the need for passwords lying around in text
files.

Thoughts?

--
## Adam Spiers ## musician & hacker ## me at adamspiers.org ## http://tigerpig.org