[rt-users] Newbie confusion

Dave Sill de5-list-rt-users at sws5.ornl.gov
Mon Nov 25 14:53:50 EST 2002

Rick Rezinas <rick.rezinas at qsent.com> wrote:

>I'm not an RT expert, but I think trying to accomplish these tasks will
>get you well on your way.
>
>1) create a user.
>2) create a queue.

Done. User "de5", queue "de5-todo".

>3) setup the mailgate to process email to the queue (I use qmail, so my
>way is probably different than yours)

I use qmail too. Here's what I used:

|preline /usr/local/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue de5-todo --action correspond

Not sure what actions are available, what each does, and which is
right, though.

>4) add the user to the queue using the user rights.

I gave de5 all rights to de5-todo. Not sure, aqain, what each does,
and which I really need. I believe these are documented in the guide.

>5) groups work quite similarly.
>6) make the user a Watcher of said queue (Admin is good, because it
>Bcc's)

What does that accomplish? It works without it, and I get two e-mails
for each new ticket to the correcspondence address.

>7) add queue scrips: OnCorrespond NotifyAdminCCs with template
>Transaction and OnCorrespond NotifyRequestors with template
>Correspondence.

OK.

>7) send an email to the queue.

That works.

>8) login as the user and manipulate the ticket.

That's working today, too, though when I tried this Friday, the new
tickets were created, but de5 couldn't see them until root made him
the owner.

>take it, open it,
>comment, reply.  Note the difference between comments and replies.

Got it.

>all of these things are in the manual.

I realize that. I just think there's room for a quick-start
guide. (Yes, if stick with RT long enough, I'll contribute one.)

>The key (I think) to managing RT is the queues.  You need to have the
>right queues with the right members and permissions for it to be useful
>to your 'customers'. Spend some time playing with RT.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

>Spend more time thinking about what divisions will benefit everyone.
>Remember that queue changes, while possible, create pain.
>
>I haven't really played with keywords at all.

Thanks for the advice, Rick.

-Dave