[rt-users] RE: RT2 and FastCGI

Patrick Harlin pathar at dc.luth.se
Wed Nov 27 02:47:52 EST 2002

Hi,

A few days ago I changed from RT2.0.14 with mod_perl on Solaris 8 into RT
2.0.15 with fast_cgi on FreeBSD + better hardware and the improvement was
fantastic. Useally we had responsetime in RT 3-10 seconds now we got 2-3
seconds tops!

The change from mod_perl into fast_cgi was really easy. I made the changes
mentioned in the FAQ (5 minutes work, see FAQ text below), and then everything
worked :)

As an alternative to using mod_perl, fastCGI has been known to work.

         1.Use CPAN to install "FCGI"
         2.Download [http://www.fastcgi.com/dist/mod_fastcgi.tar.gz]
         3.Decompress it.
         4.Build as a DSO via: apxs -o mod_fastcgi.so -c *.c
         5.Fix the permissions via: chmod 755 mod_fastcgi.so
         6.Install the compiled DSO via: cp mod_fastcgi.so
/path/to/apache/modules/mod_fastcgi.so
         7.Update your httpd.conf file to include

            LoadModule fastcgi_module modules/mod_fastcgi.so
            AddModule mod_fastcgi.c
            AddHandler fastcgi-script fcgi

            FastCgiServer /path/to/rt2/bin/mason_handler.fcgi
            Alias /NoAuth/images/ /path/to/rt2/WebRT/html/NoAuth/images/
            ScriptAlias / /path/to/rt2/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/

            (Note, these lines (in particular, the FastCgiServer directive)
must appear after the User and Group directives.)

            You should also add the following line to the RT <VirtualHost>
block, in order to stop FastCGI from trying to process rt.jpg:

            Alias /NoAuth/images/rt.jpg /path/to/rt2/WebRT/html/NoAuth/images/r
t.jpg

         8.Restart the webserver

      If you do not use the AddHandler and the FastCgiServer commands then
apache will not keep the mason_handler.fcgi program running between requests.
If the handler is not running between
      requests RT2 will run very slowly.

/Cheers,

Patrick Harlin, SysAdmin