Subject: [rt-users] rt 2-0-15 and oracle

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Oct 17 16:58:32 EDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 02:04:41PM +0200, Stoyan Genov wrote:
> The problem goes further -- the SearchBuilder module
> is not adopted to make queries that oracle understands.
> It has problems with the join clause, the limit/offset clause,
> the distinct selections over CLOB type of fields, and others.

I've currently got someone who's working on a port of RT 3 to oracle,
though I'm sure that if someone else wanted to work on it as well, he'd
be thrilled. I'd strongly prefer that we target Oracle 9, rather than
Oracle 8. As of 9, Oracle has introduced join syntax that works the
same as the rest of the world and deprecated their old join syntax.
While I actually _like_ oracle's syntax better, there is value to a
standard approach.

WRT clobs, I'm told that as of 9, oracle finally bundles Oracle Text
with the base product, which should make life much easier.

Limit/Offset: I'm given to understand that newer DBIs actually have
a database-independent way of grabbing a subset of records returned,
which may be a better fit for searchbuilder.

> A colleague of mine did a preliminary version of SearchBuilder
> which runs for oracle and _does not_ run for mysql/pgsql.

I'd love to see it.

> When we have time, we will most probably rearrange the SearchBuilder
> module entirely, so it is complaint with mysql/pgsql/oracle and
> will post this to the community. However, we're overloaded with work
> and this might take days to finish.

Please coordinate with me before you rip searchbuilder apart. That will
make it much more likely that I'll be able to integrate it into the
standard "core".

> Also, the schema for oracle has to be patched as well to keep
> relational integrity of foreign keys in the database.

Has to or should?

> What is the official way to submit patches for rt?

For RT, send patches to rt-devel at lists.fsck.com.
For searchbuilder, send patches to bug-dbix-searchbuilder at rt.cpan.org.

From here on in, this discussion should probably move to
rt-devel at lists.fsck.com