[rt-users] Winmail.dat attachments

Andy Coates andy at bribed.net
Tue Oct 22 11:27:41 EDT 2002

Hey,

Does anyone know why certain attachments (only seeing this from Outlook
users) show up as "winmail.dat" through RT?

If you download it, it does have the attachment in there, but its also
full of MS "crap", which I presume is some sort of extensions Outlook
adds to the attachment which RT doesn't understand.

Outlook Express doesn't seem to be able to see it either, so I'm not
blaming RT, but for example Yahoo! Mail can read the attachment.

Any ideas what can be done?  RT seems to be doing the right thing, and
the raw message does show winmail.dat is the attachment - but we can't
exactly tell a customer to stop using Outlook.

Even if someone just says its Outlook doing it I'll be happy, since
they're blaming us at the moment.

Cheers,
Andy.