[rt-users] Double quoting From: header

Welch, Tim welch at ntt.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 04:36:26 EST 2002

Hi.

I'm running RT 2.0.13 and exim 3.35-1 on a Debian 3.0 box.
I have noticed a problem where RT quotes the double-quotation character
surrounding the From: field, where they exist, of an email sent to a queue.

e.g.

	From: "User, Random" <user at foo.com>

RT adds another double-quotation without quoting the exisiting ones
i.e.

	From: ""User, Random" via RT" <queue at foo.com>

The first "" is recognised as one token and so becomes

	From: "", User

which causes exim to barf.

Now, I think this is prolly because some of our users' Outlook clients have
been configured with quotes surrounding the email username.  Unfortunately,
all these PCs are administrated by our internal IT guys who have a standard
PC build.

Is this a recognised problem?  I'm guessing that it could be solved
by modifying some portion of rt-mailgate to check if the double-quotes
exist, and then strip them out.  I'm not an exim user, so I am unsure if
this is an exim problem.

TIA,

Tim
This e-mail (and any attachments) contains information, which is
confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy,
distribute or use it for any purpose or disclose the contents to any person.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately at
it at ntt.co.uk. The information contained in this e-mail (and any attachments)
is supplied in good faith, but the sender shall not be under any liability
in damages or otherwise for any reliance that may be placed upon it by the
recipient. Any comments or opinions expressed are those of the originator
not of NTT Europe Ltd unless otherwise expressly stated.