[rt-users] rt2-to-rt3 question

Scott A. McIntyre scott at xs4all.net
Wed Apr 2 00:04:34 EST 2003

--On Tuesday, April 1, 2003 20:49 -0500 Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com>

http://bestpractical.com/pub/rt/devel/rt2-to-rt3-v1.7.tar.gz

> Actually, a better question would be: how does one migrate from RT2 to
> RT3 (with regards to the database contents)?

Since you're at home with a fever and headache, you'll find you have lots
of time on your hands.  To migrate from rt2 to rt3 you'll need that.  The
process makes a dump of your current database into a metadata file and a
series of directories which contain about 1000 tickets per directory.  The
exporting process goes fairly smoothly but at a glacier's pace.  It took
our system about 18 hours to export 60000 tickets + other configuration
data.

The importation process does not go as smoothly; I have pages of errors and
it fatally died about 12 hours in to the process when it suddenly noticed
that the rt3 instance had a queue already in existence as one it was trying
to import -- my fault, I'm sure; you really need your rt3 database to be
empty for the process to work.

Total import time was about 28 hours -- and this was on a test database,
non-live system and about 20000 less tickets than we have on our production
system.  We won't be migrating to rt3 anytime soon as a result, need to see
if the process can be sped up at all...unfortunately, for us, rt3 is
significantly slower than rt2 at the point that my users notice most:
initial login and presentation of their "home" page summary of
tickets....indeed, it is so slow that Safari times out (sixty seconds) and
generates an error.

Anyway, the conversion tool is at the url above and should get you going...

Good luck,

Scott