[rt-users] RT 3 - Postgres vs. MySQL?

Mick Szucs mick at onramp.ca
Fri Apr 11 08:05:30 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 23:35, Nicolae P. Costescu wrote:
> Let me know if you are able to migrate properly.

Having browsed the rt-users and rt-devel lists, I'm not sure if RT 3 is
the right choice right now.  Seems like there may still be some pretty
heavy duty performance bugs to sort out.  Of course, people tend to only
write to these lists when they've got a problem .. I should be looking
elsewhere for affirmations and glowing praise.  :)

> We had perf. issues with 4000 tickets.

> What I did was install rt2.0.15 (I was a 2.0.9) on a faster machine
> (p4/2.4GHz w/PC2100 DDR 512MB), along with the latest postgres (7.3.2 I
> guess whatever the latest is I got it today).

What sort of performance issues?  I'm looking to avoid the postgres 100%
CPU utilization on ticket-display problem that we're having now.  If you
were having that one (which make RT a major PIA sometimes) and it's gone
now, then I'm tempted to head for RT 2.0.15.  Having read about the
similar problem people are having with reply-to tickets consuming
massive CPU in RT3, 2.0.15 sounds like the safer bet.

> Apparently doing those three things has yielded a very significant
> improvement (everyone is happy now).

This would be good.

> The old machine was an athlon 1.1GHz w/1gig SDRAM.

> One question - do you do a "vacuum verbose analyze" each night? The verbose
> is unnecessary, but you can see how many obsolete tuples it deletes if you
> do verbose.

Yup.  We've got the nightly vacuum in there.

> What is you hardware config?

I'm not sure of the processor spec, but it's probably in the
neighbourhood of a Ghz - 1 Gig of RAM.

Thanks,

Mick