[rt-users] Which is better for Apache 2, mod_perl or fastcgi?

Brook Schofield b.schofield at griffith.edu.au
Thu Aug 7 03:17:22 EDT 2003

rt-users-admin at lists.fsck.com wrote on 07/08/2003 03:27:33 PM:

> Before I try to compile fastcgi with apache 2,  I am wondering if I
> should give mod_perl a chance.   The reason I'm tilting toward
> fastcgi is because I've read that mod_perl 1 and 2 does not work
> well with RT 3.
>
> So should I go ahead with fastcgi?

I can't comment on fastcgi - as I've never used it - but there is only one
problem that I have experienced with RT and mod_perl2 and that is the
search redirection problem. If you use the quick search - you'll have to
click on the link to get to the final page. The redirect doesn't work in
Mason.

There have been some other issues posted to the list (dev mainly) - with a
post to redirect not passing the data through to RT (not that a post to a
redirect would ever work - but redirects are required for some of RTs
behaviour).

I've found mod_perl2 on Apache2 to be much more responsive than mod_perl1
on Apache1.3 but the down sides don't make the cut for production use.

If you want to play and develop for RT - then mod_perl2 is fine - for
production use - investigate fastcgi.

-Brook