[rt-users] Strange characters for apostrophes

Viraj Alankar valankar at access4less.net
Fri Aug 8 13:34:44 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 01:22:42PM -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:57:19AM -0400, Viraj Alankar wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 03:42:05PM -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> > > Upgrade to RT 3.0.4 or perhaps even RT 3.0.5preX and it should behave
> > > better.
> >
> > Upgraded to 3.0.4 and still notice the problem, this time with 'dash'
> > characters. Anything else I can try? Do I need to go to 3.0.5pre?
> >
> > It turns out the way the comment was entered was by copying text from MS Word
> > and pasting it in the form in the browser.
>
> Sounds like word is using something non-standard for dashes.

One thing I notice is if I write the following in Word:

blah's

and then cut and paste this in notepad, the apostrophe is different from the
normal apostrophe as entered directly in notepad. The apostrophe is slanted
a little bit.

I don't know much about character translation, but I know Word has different
types of apostrophes, opening and closing. Any way this can be worked around?

As a test, in RT2, copying over from Word works fine. But in RT3 it does not.

Viraj.